Monday, August 4, 2008

Nothing and Everything

I feel like I should write something, since I haven't posted in such a long time. The trouble is, I don't know what to say. Writing is the same for me as reading or art or biking or playing the piano, or almost anything else that I love to do, in that the more I do it the more I have to do it, but if I take a break for a while it's really hard to get back into.

I saw pictures of my babies in India a few nights ago. They're all really big now, and the ones that were the littlest while I was there are losing all their front teeth, and have made the transition from "little kid" to just "kid". It was strange to see. I know it's been almost two years since I've seen them, but I forgot that kids grow a lot in two years.

I also watched a video of Prem, one of the older boys at the orphanage and also one of the sweetest kids you will ever meet, singing a hymn. His distinctly Indian voice and his thick accent chnaged the sound of the familiar hymn a little bit, but almost from the first word I knew the song, and while I listened to Prem sing the beauty of it all overwhelmed me. A sixteen-year-old boy on the other side of the world, a person whose life is completely different from mine in every possible way, was singing one of my favorite hymns, proclaiming the goodness and faithfulness of the same God that I try to follow. To me there's nothing that can compare to listening and watching as people from completely different backgrounds and ways of life sing a song that is familiar and dear to my American, Evangelical self.

But even more beautiful was the assurance that the boy singing has not forgotten the God who loves him. "[God's] word does not return void", and in Prem it has found good soil in which it is growing strong. Even though I can't be there to see it, at least I know it. That might be enough.

No comments: