Wednesday, February 3, 2010

learning to live in intermediate drawing

my professor is wonderful. he speaks quietly and calmly, and although his students may think they are just learning to draw, he is really teaching us life.

during the first class, he said, "in this class you will struggle. what you must say is, 'struggle is my hobby.' then you will succeed."

yesterday, while explaining a new technique, he said, "this may seem too hard. too many things to think about. but it is like juggling. first, you practice with only one ball. then you will practice with two. at first this seems difficult, but soon you will be juggling five balls and reading the newspaper."

this is my favorite class.

2 comments:

Holly said...

ah, i'm so glad you have this.
i thought of this a little while ago--i told myself, I LOVE writing papers!

gasoline rainbows said...

oh, can i visit you and your art class?

-elizabeth